Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Black Pearl Cake, 2.5 years later

I found a recipe for Black Pearl Cake about 2.5 years ago. It looked so divine I knew I had make it. The trick was finding a group of appropriately adventurous eaters. When Katie asked me to make a cake for Kurt's birthday, I jumped on the chance to whip this out.

It was worth the 2 days of prep.
Cutting the rounded top of the cake off is the first step to assemble this masterpiece.
Hot ginger syrup is poured into the cake, and then dark chocolate/wasabi ganache with black sesame is spread on the layer.
The first two steps are repeated with the second layer.
To finish the cake is liberally frosted with ginger whipped cream and sprinkled with black sesame seeds.
The birthday boy blows out the candles, and hopefully doesn't spit too much on the cake.

Enjoyment ensues
This cake was fantastic and will have to be made again, but not for a while. I sometimes enjoy my cooking a little too much.

2 comments:

  1. Your cake looks delicious! I laughed so hard when I read the comment about blowing out the candles. I think that thought always goes through my mind when someone blows candles out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so interesting that the hot ginger syrup is poured into the cake- that must make it so moist and delicious! The sesame seeds must have added a nice crunch, too. Looks truly scrumptious :)

    ReplyDelete