When I was a kid I was very envious of my brothers because they got to be cub scouts and I didn't. I loved everything about scouts the uniforms, the activities, tying knots, award ceremonies, and that they got to meet with their friends once a week.
My little green eyed envy monster became more of a large green eyed monster when they graduated from being cubs to being full grown boy scouts.
I swore that some day I'd be a scout. I fulfilled that promise as a teenager when I worked at Philmont Scout Ranch and was a registered scout. Since then I felt like I had fulfilled that lifelong goal and even though I have felt regret about not having more time at Philmont I moved on to other goals.
When a call for volunteers to help lead a cub scout troop reached my ears, I remembered my childhood desire and and quickly volunteered. I figured this would be a highly sought after opportunity and reconciled myself to being told I wasn't needed. Well, low and behold it turns out not all grown women (or men for that matter) are jumping at the chance to hang out with cub scouts once a week and do by default the one volunteer gets to play like they know what to do with a group of cubs.
Moral of the story, careful what you wish for you might get it 20 years later! I love how life gives what you want when you've stopped griping about not having it :)
No comments:
Post a Comment