My friend Stephanie Gerla and I have been planning to put on a fabulous Halloween party for a little while now. In preparation for the party I baked a cake, made cheese balls, made mini-bones, and made pina coladas. I loved all the varied things I got to make for the party.
The Cake: I don't normally like cake, however I love the moist, rich, dark chocolate of this cake. Since I don't have an electric mixer, the following was done using bicep power.
 |
| 2 cups of flour |
 |
| 1 tsp baking powder |
 |
| 1 tsp baking soda |
 |
| 3/4 tsp salt, whisk together and set aside |
 |
| Boil 1 cup water and whisk in 1 cup + 3 TBSP cocoa powder, set aside |
 |
| Whisk together 3 eggs |
 |
| Add 2 cups of sugar to eggs and whisk together |
 |
| Mix in the boiled cocoa water to the egg mixture, one whiskful at a time. This tempers the eggs so they don't curdle and cook. |
 |
| Cut 1.5 sticks of butter into small cubes and whisk into the warm cocoa egg mixture. |
 |
| Prepare two 9" pans by spraying them with one of my favorite products. Pam for Baking, |
 |
| Whisk in the flour mixture a little at a time alternating with 1 cup of buttermilk |
 |
| Split the batter between the two pans you prepared and bake in the center of a 350 F oven for 25-30 minutes |
I cooled the cake over night and then took it to Stephanie's house to frost and decorate the cake.
 |
| I am not a good cake froster, but this worked out pretty well |
 |
| Frosted, but not yet decorated! |
The Cheese ball(s): These are an old time appetizer, I made three flavors that were slight variations of one another. All the more fun to decorate, my dear.
 |
| Add 2 softened blocks of cream cheese |
 |
| add 1/4 cup chopped green onion |
 |
| add 3/4 cup grated Monterrey Jack cheese |
 |
| add 1 TBSP Worcestershire sauce |
 |
| Add 1 cup grated cheddar cheese. Mix well and wrap in saran wrap and refrigerate at least one hour. |
As with the cake, I allowed the cheese ball to sit over night and finished them at Stephanie's house the morning of the party.
 |
| From left to right there is a Ghoul, a Ghost, and the cutest Jack O'Lantern - EVER! |
 |
| Another view of the cuteness, I might die from all the cuteness |
Mini Bones: A Halloween treat table will only look cute when these little bones grace it.
 |
| Make the bone form by impaling a mini marshmallow at each end of a thin pretzel stick |
 |
| Once you have quite a few ready to go you can begin to temper some white chocolate to dip them in. Note I made way more than I was able to actually dip. |
 |
| Melt over hot water in the top pan of a double boiler, if you don't have one you can improvise with a metal mixing bowl over a pan of water. |
 |
| Once melted and smooth the pretzel sticks can be dipped |
 |
| dip the sticks into the white chocolate, remove and allow to cool on plastic wrap until firm. |
Once Stephanie and I both had finished our preparations it was time to put together the treat table.
 |
| The setup of the table |
 |
| The cute green brownie pops were a delicious treat made by Stephanie, one of the most talented cooks I know! |
 |
| Another view of the lovely treats, see the adorable Halloween Sugar Biscuits? |
 |
| Bones |
In addition to making the most cute and delicious food, Stephanie spent much time and energy decorating her home so beautifully for the party.
 |
| Stephanie's beautiful front room |
 |
| I love, love, love this table! Steph is so good at decorating with enough, but not too much! |
Now for the best part of the night, the Guests!
 |
| Dillon and Bethany Hobos extraordinaire! |
 |
| Amber Taylor, what a cute Minnie Mouse. Reed Taylor, an amazing tube of toothpaste, I wish I had gotten a picture of him standing up! |
 |
| Amalie Kurzer as a cute bunny with her Carrot Kendon Kurzer |
 |
| Wesley as a green crayon with Rebecca Doty as an Orange crayon - what a great idea! |
 |
| Lauren Potter as a "Cereal Killer" (she had to explain her costume to me) Jon Potter the APX salesman. |
 |
| Elissa as Russell from "UP", Heather Burt as Mario, and Jessica Vandermark as a Hawaiian. |
 |
| Brookly and Seth as a white trash couple |
 |
| Shea and Anna Daines as Mimes, they were so funny! |
 |
| Alise as herself and Ally as a Zombie |
 |
| Kate Hoffmire in her onsie already for bed |
 |
| Paul Gerla as Steve Jobs discussing intently the pros of the new I Pad |
 |
| Annie Henry as bubble girl with Pedro |
 |
| A crab and Clark Bateman as a Double Rainbow |
Of course I can't forget the most wonderful and gracious host and hostess.
 |
| Andy a Smurf and Stephanie Gerla Smurfette |
Me, well I went as a rockstar, no one in particular just a rockstar.
 |
| Yay for pleather, too much makeup, and hair product. |
I had so much fun seeing so many of my friends dressed, if not their best, in wonderful and fun outfits.
 |
| Yay for friends! |
 |
| Hurrah for fun roomies! |
Stephanie and I feel that our party was a great success and are excited for doing another party together!
 |
| We had so much fun! |
LOVE the POST!!! That was definitely the BEST party ever. We work Amazingly well together :) I had so much fun planning, making decorations, and cooking with you. We need to do another PARTY!
ReplyDelete