Sunday, February 27, 2011

Wellness, food for thought

I believe I have mentioned before that I love my employer and not just my job. The culture at General Mills encourages wellness through all aspects of life. That means that periodically they sponsor different types of activities to help foster that spirit in our lives. This last week we had a wellness event themed around healthy mexican food. Chef Scott Scherer prepared the menu and demonstrated techniques to us and then we divided up to make the different dishes, and then got to enjoy a fabulous meal together.

An appetizer of homemade (baked) tortilla chips with homemade salsa verde. MmmMmmMmm!
The soup was a roasted peppers and shrimp, it was my least favorite of the dishes but still good.
Orange and Jicama salad, very good.
Coyote squash and roasted red potato salad, this was my favorite. That was purely based on finished flavor and texture attributes and had nothing to do with the fact that my group prepared this one.
Roasted tomato/pepper stewed chicken, don't those breasts look great?
Annato rice, this was a very aromatic yet subtle flavored rice. Pure Genius!
Everything was delicious and I almost felt so healthy that I didn't need to exercise, almost... my how I love food!

2 comments:

  1. Christine! I just made something this weekend with annatto seasoning! In Ecuador, they use the seed mixed with oil to make these fried potato patty things called llapingachos. You should totally look it up and try making them! Plus if you make it, it will naturally taste amazing! :) love Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh heather that sounds amazing! I will have to look it up.

    ReplyDelete