Friday, February 11, 2011

Weird Idea of Fun

So, it has been cold around here. I mean most days it is below zero when I go to work and isn't much warmer on my way home. Surprisingly, it isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I just wear more layers and find that overdressing is never overdressing... no more sweating under the sweater under the jacket, under the coat. Since moving I have been introduced to a couple pretty awesome things to do in the cold.

Ice skating on a pond was the first thing that really tickled my fancy. That was pretty great, and very different than skating in a temperature controlled rink. The second thing was go to a Winter Carnival. Seriously, that was typed right. Around here winter and carnival can be spoken in the same sentence and not be considered strange. Except maybe to those of us who cannot yet claim the distinction of being a Minnesotan.

What is involved in said Winter Carnival? Well, there are snow sculptures, ice sculptures, a parade, a play (outside too!), fireworks, and to top it all off food reminiscent of the state fair.

Katie and I reenacting the fighting dinosaurs behind us
Ryan picked the dinosaur's nose for it
Victor and Ryan found new jobs as the monsters under Katie's bed
Not only was there a parade in the freezing cold, it started at sundown!
I loved this ice sculpture, it may have been my favorite...
I forgot I had turned off my flash, but you can still tell I am an ice queen...
 I like Minnesota, that is a pretty good feeling.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that you are liking it out there! And that Winter Festival sounds so cool! I guess I won't complain about the weather here in Logan anymore. :)

    ReplyDelete