Monday, September 13, 2010

When a stop sign doesn't mean stop?

While stopped at a stop sign this evening I got rammed into from behind. No one was hurt and so we pulled into the parking lot of the Provo Bakery. I have always wanted to go there, but didn't intend it to be in such a manner. I had at least hoped for a donut!
We sat there for 30 minutes and still no police came. The boys who hit me asked if I would be willing to skip reporting the accident since their car was not registered...they were on the way to register it. We exchanged information, took pictures of the cars, and they left. I waited for the officer to come and when he did the boys came back. I found out that I could take the car in and assess the damage before filing a report as long as I had their information.

So to be nice, I told them that I would assess the damage and they could pay it so their insurance wouldn't go up. If they don't want to pay the bill personally we will then file the police report. I only hope that I don't regret that decision!
This is the car that hit me. Notice the very conspicuously missing license plate. The dings on the bumper to the right of the license plate holder are the holes from the accident, from where they smashed into my bike rack. The damage to my car is not immediately visible.
My bike rack used to stick out from the back of my bumper by at least two or three inches. It is now jammed into the to hitch and there is no room between the rack and my bumper.

No comments:

Post a Comment