Sunday, August 15, 2010

IMPA Dairy Product Development 2010

I just finished the last competition I will compete in as a student. I have to admit, I feel relief at that thought. I have loved competing in things, but it has definitely been a stressful thing at times. I love attending the IMPA (Idaho Milk Processors Association) annual meeting! I have gone for the past three years and will miss it in the coming years.

On the ride up we stopped at Cafe Rio for some dinner. Eric and Dr. Dunn are watching carefully as their food is being prepared, while Andy and Ashlee enjoy being out of the car.
Trent and Andy both seem to like being in the camera's spotlight.
We stayed at a condo in Ketchum and arrived very late at night. The next day we presented our product first to the general assembly and then to the judges, who got to try our product. Dr. Dunn helped us to set up our presentation at the beginning of lunch.
Relaxing and trying to enjoy a bit before presenting.
After we were done presenting we had about 40 minutes before one of my favorite portions of the meeting; the wine and cheese social. In the interim we drove up the road from the lodge and enjoyed the views.
The Wine and Cheese Social showcases prizewinning cheeses that were entered by different cheese companies.These are just a few of the many cheeses that can be sampled! MmmMmmMmm!!!!!
This was the first place that our poster was displayed for the general members of IMPA.
We went hiking the next morning, but I unfortunately forgot my camera, but it was beautiful. We were in an area at the edge of where a fire had gone through a couple years ago. The beauty that was so evident was a powerful testament to the ability of life to thrive even after a traumatic event.

That night was the awards banquet and they announced the winners of the dairy product development competition. BYU took first place! This actually means 2nd place since dairy competitions always go grand, first, and second. Our product was called Bone Appetit, a low-fat ice cream with bone health ingredients.

This is the team with Dr. Dunn, our advisor.
Andy Hicken, Trent Adams, Me, Eric Engstrom, Dr. Michael Dunn
The team with some of our favorite members of IMPA. Rex Infanger is one of the judges and works as a sales rep for Danisco Ingredients. He is wonderful to us and is always so helpful with ingredients for any project we work on. Allen Reed owns Reed's Dairy out of Idaho Falls and produces some of the best dairy products I have ever tasted. His chocolate milk and ice cream are famous - with good reason.
Rex Infanger, Andy Hicken, Trent Adams, Eric Engstrom, Allen Reed
One of the best things to come from this competition is that Allen Reed may start producing a version of our ice cream in his dairy store and Rex is in contact with Farr's Ice Cream to also work on a version of our ice cream! I love it when my brain child projects hit the shelves!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment