Sunday, June 27, 2010

Hidden Blessings

 This post is bit serious, but before I get to it I wanted to share the picture above from my trip to Montana with my brothers and sisters. Daniel gave me a couple flowers while we were in a park. Isn't he adorable!

I had an experience I wanted to record, although most of the details I will leave out as they are very special to me. I have been trying to be better about studying my scriptures, not just reading but looking up a topic. For several weeks I have been looking up scriptures on one topic in relation to something that has been on my mind and heart a lot. Honestly, I didn't feel I was learning anything new. Then today as I sat contemplating a new problem in my life that encompassed and far surpassed what I had been struggling with I pulled out my piece of paper with my notes on what I had thought as I read through the scriptures.

The words I wrote down for the last several weeks were the answer to my prayers of the past couple days. The Lord used me to answer my own prayers. When I had not thought I was learning I was actually laying the foundation for when I would be able to learn what the Lord had in store for me. The Lord makes a promise in Ether 4:15 that great and marvelous things which are hid from your view by wickedness, hardness of heart, and blindness of mind will be made clear as the veil of unbelief is rent by having a broken heart and a contrite spirit causing you to call on the name of the Lord. This weekend I developed a testimony that this scripture is meant literally. A broken heart can cause you to become angry, depressed, or hateful. But a broken heart can also cause you to turn to God.

I took my troubles to Him and He answered my prayers in unexpected ways. I have tried to follow the promptings I have felt in my mind and heart. In so doing I hope that I have put my relationship with my Father in Heaven in its proper place in my life - top priority. How the other relationships in my life turn out is out of my hands but as long as the one all important relationship is first I have confidence that I will be happy, productive, and able to overcome the many weaknesses and faults that I possess.

The trials we are given often conceal the greatest blessings we need to make the decision to accept. I know that Heavenly Father and His son Jesus Christ are real, that they love all people very much. I know that I can return to live with them and that they will watch over me and guide me as I allow them.

One more picture from the Montana trip that my sister took. I made a "corsage" with the flowers Daniel gave to me. I thought he would think it was cool, nope, he just wanted me to keep chasing him. About 30 seconds after this picture was taken the corsage was destroyed in my valiant effort to oust him from his playground "fort".

PS. The lilacs smelled even better than they look!

No comments:

Post a Comment