Thursday, June 24, 2010

A Cold Day for Kayaking

As anyone who has tried to get me to go swimming with them in the last 12 or so years knows...I am not so comfortable wearing a swimming suit. In fact last year I purchased my first swimsuit since I was 14. So when Andrew called and asked if I wanted to borrow my friends' kayaks and go with some friends from his mission, I had mixed feelings. They kayaking sounded fabulous, wearing a swimsuit not so much.

I love the way spandex feels, so swimsuits don't bother me because of their material. It is the lack of enough material that is the problem. I am getting a bit better about this, as I will actually willingly wear one now. The day of the kayak/barbeque trip dawned bright and cold. It was actually the coldest day we have had in weeks. Undeterred we got the kayaks and headed to Silver Lake Flat.
My hesitancy to wear a swimsuit seemed silly once we got there as it was so cold as to make it attractive to be able to change after getting damp.

 This is a picture of Andrew's friends Nate and Vicky King. Andrew baptized Nate and then was able to go to Nate and Vicki's wedding. They are very special.


 Andrew and I right before going out on the water for the first time.
And who wouldn't want another view of that great scene?

The water felt like glacial runoff, in this picture I believe I was starting to wonder what I had gotten myself into and Nate really thought Andrew and I were crazy.

Minimizing my exposure to the water, Nate helped me to launch into the lake. So much fun, it was worth the frozen toes and the wet chilly backside
.
No matter how hard I try, the only time I can catch Andrew is when he slows down and waits for me, or comes back to get me. This is a classic example of this phenomena in action.

I'm pretty sure that Nate is saying that if we capsize, he is not going to come rescue us!

Luckily, we made it and no rescue attempt was needed.



After a hearty dinner of elk burgers and chips, Nate let Andrew persuade him to join in the kayaking adventure. Meanwhile, I was still eating...slow eater + talking = taking much longer than everyone else to finish = pictures of me stuffing my face.
 

The end of a great adventure with wonderful people!

Right after this I changed into my jeans and shoes with a sweatshirt. Warm things felt so good! I can't wait to go kayaking again on a hot day so the freezing water feels wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment