Tuesday, October 23, 2012

My Beautiful Sister Sabra

I have been far behind on writing about the adventures of my life. So to make an attempt at catching up, I thought I would share someone else's adventure. On May 10, 2012 my little sister, Sabra, got married to Steve Ekins. She planned for an outside wedding and amazingly the weather cooperated perfectly. 

 By the time I got into town, the majority of the planning and work for the wedding had been done - so as to not shirk my duties as Maid of Honor I took my sisters to get manicures and pedicures the day before the wedding. After spending the morning being pampered, we decided to check out the new mall in downtown Salt Lake City. By visiting the Bare Minerals make up counter in Macy's we managed to score free makeovers (well  they weren't really free since I dropped more money on makeup than I have in my entire life put together).

Unfortunatly, my attempt to be a great Maid of Honor backfired a bit. I made us late to the wedding rehearsal... My sweet sister was very nice about it, however I'm sure I wasn't very popular with the rest of the wedding party.
Beautiful Sisters
The day of the wedding was fairly relaxed from my perspective, however I wasn't the one that had to spend the first several hours of the day getting hair and make-up done. The scramble occurred when we got to the wedding venue and it was discovered that a key part of the bridal costume had been left behind... Luckily it ended up not being as big an issue as we worried it was going to be and smiles quickly replaced the panicked flurry and scurry.
Bride and bridesmaids
To get to the area the ceremony would be performed at, the wedding party walked down a flight of steps, went outside and down a second flight of steps, then walked on a cobblestone aisle. It was lovely and not made for leather soled high heeled shoes. Luckily, Ms. Klutz here did not face plant, stumble, or endover and the bride was able to take center stage as the most looked at and talked about attraction coming down that aisle. 
Daddy and Daughter
 It is readily apparent that my younger sister is beautiful but what struck me as I watched her come down the aisle to meet Steve was how serene and confident she is. I have always admired Sabra for her spunk, her confidence, and her ability to overcome challenges. I could see those things in her that day, and I may have had somewhat watery eyes as I witnessed her getting married.
The newest Mr and Mrs
To Sabra, when I was little I wanted a sister so much and you were even better than I had imagined. From the first time I saw your blond hair, blue eyes, and dimples I was hooked. I begged to share a room with you, and when your crib was finally put in my room I would sneak out of my bed at night so I could stand by your crib and watch you sleep (I was 8 and not trying to be creepy, hopefully you don't have residual nightmares from it...). Although I was terrible at it, I loved to fix your hair (to my dismay you put a hasty stop to it as you got older by hiding from me on Sunday mornings). Not all was fun and games and I complained about you always finding and eating the candy I would stash after holidays, but secretly I was impressed and even found it rather humorous that no matter where I hid it, you could find it. I am still impressed by you and am so happy that you are my sister, however I promise to never again stand by your bed and watch you sleep.

1 comment:

  1. You are so sweet! I love to see the sisterly love you guys are gorgeous. Thanks for the step by step wedding details. I so wish I could have been there! I would like to second that Sabra is such an Amazing person!

    ReplyDelete